Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Joshua Tree - A Cento

The Joshua Tree, A Cento*

The night
It burn[s] like fire

Sky rip[s] open,
the howling wind driving nails into [my] soul[]

The moon has turned red
And the stars fall from the sky
[I] turn away to face the cold enduring chill

I want shelter
I want to feel sunlight on my face

[I] cry without weeping
[I] talk without speaking
Scream without raising [my] voice

Nothing to win, and nothing left to lose
I await without you.

Dress torn in ribbons and in bows
Like a siren she calls me

Love, slowly stripped away
[She's] all that's left to hold onto
I'm hanging on

In the hands of love
I went deeper into black - deeper into white

I was cold and you clothed me honey
But I was naked in the clothes you made

In the rain, tears
In the wind, laughter
[My] heartbeat. [I] hear my heart beat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*This poem is composed of two-three lines from each of the tracks on U2's Joshua Tree Album (1987).  

The songs are: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Bullet the Blue Sky, One Tree Hill, Where the Streets Have No Name, Running to Stand Still, With or Without You, In God's Country, Red Hill Mining Town, Exit, Trip Through Your Wires,  and Mothers of the Disappeared  



No comments:

Post a Comment